Fresh flowers are such lovely decorations for a cake. This is a vanilla flower cake decorated with fresh roses – it’s a super simple white cake with vanilla frosting that looks much fancier that what it takes to make it.
If you’re baking with fresh flowers, you should either tape the ends or use these little flower stakes from Wilton – they make it so the plant matter doesn’t get in the cake.
This is a fun weekend project; like what i wrote in my cinnamon bun cake recipe, i like to bake the cakes one day, then frost and decorate the next day.Print
a basic white cake made pretty with some roses.
- 2 ¼ cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 16oz box of powdered sugar
- 2 sticks of butter, room temp
- 1 tsp of almond extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Butter and flour three 6-inch round cake pans.
- Combine dry ingredients, save the sugar
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and increase the speed to medium-high. Continue mixing until the butter and sugar are creamed together. The mixture should be light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low, add in the vanilla extract followed by the egg whites. Slowly pour in the whites to help the batter absorb all the liquid. If the batter curdles, add a couple teaspoons of the flour mixture to help bring it back together. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Mix in the dry ingredients + milk in alternating batches into the butter/sugar mixture.
- Evenly distribute the batter between the three pans.
- Bake for about 25 to 28 minutes
- Let cool completely – i sometimes even freeze the cake layers overnight before frosting + decorating.
- in a mixer, beat the butter until smooth
- add in the almond extract
- add in the powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
frost and decorate!
I did just a crumb coat on this and had enough leftover frosting to crumb coat a second 6-inch layer cake.