This is an Instant Pot chicken chile verde recipe that will become a staple in the winter for you! Instant Pot chile verde is easy, cheap and delicious. If you use chicken breasts vs. thighs, you sacrifice a little bit of flavor but then it’s zero points on WW!
the inspiration behind this instant pot chicken chile verde
When it’s cold all i want is something warm and a little bit spicy. i also live for anything tomatillo based! make this instant pot chile verde the next time you’re chilly and looking for some yummy Mexican flavors.
how to make chicken chile verde in an instant pot
you could honestly do this recipe as a dump-and-press-start recipe – e.g., dump all the ingredients in and just hit start. but, i’ve included directions that have you sautee the aromatics first and then the chicken, just to coax out a little more flavor.
Welcome any and all feedback on this – I thought it turned out really deliciously and was great with some chips ont he side!Print
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- 4 or 5 tomatillos, quartered, husks discarded
- 3 poblano peppers, chopped, seeds and stems discarded
- 1 bell pepper, chopped, seeds and stems discarded
- 2 small or 1 big jalapeño chilies, roughly chopped, seeds and stems discarded
- 1 onion, chopped
- a few cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- cilantro for garnish
- First, turn the instant pot on saute. Saute tomatillos, peppers, onion, garlic, cumin, and a big pinch of salt with some olive oil. Heat over high heat until gently sizzling, then add in the chicken. Seal pressure cooker, bring to high pressure and cook for 15 minutes. Release pressure naturally.
- Remove the chicken thighs and shred them
- Using the immersion blender, blend the tomatillo/pepper mixture until roughly combined
- put the chicken back in the soup, and serve! garnish with lime and cilantro