This Whole30 Friendly Seared Tuna and Cucumber Zoodle Bowl is your new favorite lunch! It looks fancy, but really comes together quite quickly. With cool and crunchy cucumbers, topped with savory tuna, creamy avocado, zesty nori strips and a ginger-lime-sunbutter dressing that will be your new favorite dressing – this tuna and cucumber bowl is the deconstructed sushi bowl of your dreams.
the inspo behind this tuna and cucumber zoodle bowl
Besides getting authentic sushi from the chef’s counter, I love me a spicy tuna roll and all things tuna sushi related. Being on Whole30 right now, I wanted to figure out how to expand upon the flavors in a tuna roll and make it into a more satiating meal. I spotted a deconstructed tuna sushi bowl in this month’s Clean Eating magazine and was inspired! This recipe riffs on that idea by evolving the dressing.
how to make a deconstructed sushi bowl whole30 friendly
This seared tuna and cucumber zoodle bowl comes together quickly. If you’re looking for a seemingly fancy Whole30 main course to impress your guests, this is definitely it.
First, you want your skillet to get very hot, so
Next, prep the bowls. Spiralize your cucumbers with a spiralizer; chop and peel the avocado; and chop the nori strips.
Last, sear off your tuna quickly on both sides.
Assemble the bowls, and ta da! Your Whole30 friendly seared tuna and cucumber zoodle bowl is ready.
This Whole30 Friendly Seared Tuna and Cucumber Zoodle Bowl is protein packed, light and oh so healthy! And, the ginger-lime-sunbutter dressing is crack. You’ll use that for everything.
Tuna & Cucumber Zoodle Bowl
- 8 oz of sushi grade ahi tuna
- 1 large English cucumber
- 4 sheets of nori
- 1 avocado
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup of coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon of sunbutter
- 1″ of ginger, peeled
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- Pre-heat a skillet on high. Salt the tuna and let it sit while the pan heats up.
- Make the dressing – combine all ingredients in a food processor and blitz to combine.
- Prep the bowl – Spiralize the cucumber; Peel and slice the avocado into 8ths; chop up nori into bite size pieces. Divide into 2 bowls.
- When the skillet is very very hot, smoking hot, sear the tuna for a minute on each side.
- Slice the tuna and divide evenly between the 2 bowls. Top with dressing – you’ll have leftover dressing 🙂
- Serving Size: 4 oz of tuna + half the cucumber and avocado; 2 tablespoons of dressing
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 133.5mg
- Fat: 17.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Protein: 30.9
- Cholesterol: 51mg
Keywords: Tuna bowl, cucumber zoodle, seared tuna bowl, cucumber and tuna, deconstructed sushi bowl